Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Open to question

During first grade we lived in one of my favorite houses. It resembled a log cabin and behind it were woods which I spent my weekends exploring. I'm not sure how many of the memories from my younger years I can trust because they're spotty at best, so the story I'm about to tell you could have very well been a dream. Still, it's something to write about.

One Saturday my brother invited me into the woods to go exploring with him. This was back before I learned anytime he wanted me to do anything, it was only because he had something horrible in store for me. I led the way, pointing out insects and wildlife I encountered along he way.

I was so wrapped up in the scenery around me that I didn't hear my brother running up behind me. He threw his shoulder into it as he collided into my back, whipping my head back and landing chest first. He then rolled me over and started hitting me.

Then I was running away in tears while clutching my throbbing chest and I could hear him laughing in the distance. After a few minutes I came to a clearing, with a pond in the middle. 30 yards in front of me sat a woman in a white nightgown. Her back was to me and she was rocking back and forth with quiet sobs. Her long, blonde hair was filthy and matted.

I thought she might need help, so I walked up to her.

"Ma'am..." I called out to her. "Ma'am, are you ok?"

She didn't reply, only cried harder. She then turned around and I stopped cold.

I only saw her face for a second before I blacked out and the only detail I remember was the steady stream of blood flowing from her tear ducts.

I don't remember anything from the next several months after this.

No comments:

Post a Comment